In the backdrop of latent spirit of discontent and dissatisfaction and the newly awakened sense of nationalism and patriotism, a few Indian employees of Imperial Bank of India at Calcutta were spurred to form an Association under the name and style "Imperial Bank of India Indian Staff Association" on 1st February 1920 even before the enactment of Indian Trade Union Act, 1926.
Bombay Circle of the Bank saw the emergence of the 3 unions several years later-one at Bombay, another at Poona and the third at Ahmedabad. These 3 Unions were amalgamated later into one Organisation under the name and style "State Bank of India Employees Union, Bombay Circle" in 1951. In Madras Circle, with branches spread over Tamilnadu, Andhrapradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Union Territory of Pondicherry, no Union could be formed till the middle of 1946.
Though the conventional history of the Trade Union Movement in India commonly derives its birth and breathe from the Madras Labour Union formed in April 1918 by B.P. Wadia, the bank employees in Southern part of the Country took a long time to organize themselves and form trade unions in their respective establishments.
The glaring discrimination, inferior service conditions and unfair treatment meted out to the then Imperial Bank employees provoked the thoughts of the employees in Madras Circle to organize themselves into a Trade Union.
A few senior employees of the then Imperial Bank of India led by Shri P.S. Chengalvaroyan and Shri V. Ramanujam, with courage and conviction, rightly and judiciously met at the lawns of the High Court of Madras in mid 1946 to explore the possibilities of forming a trade union of Imperial Bank of India employees in this part of the Country.
At the founding Conference held at St. Mary's Hall, Madras under the Presidentship of Shri Bashyam Iyengar, the then Minister for Law of the Interim Government before Independence, the saviour child of SBI men was born and christened as "Imperial Bank of India Indian Staff Association". The name of the Union was subsequently changed into "Imperial Bank of India Indian Staff Union" which was registered on 25th September 1948 under the Trade Union Act, 1926.
Smt / Shri
Smt / Shri
|C L Rajaratnam||T.V.Loganathan & B.K.Medappa
|C L Rajaratnam||V Ganesan & T V Loganathan
|C L Rajaratnam||V Ganesan||1964-1967|
|C L Rajaratnam||D.G.Masilamani||1968-1971|
|C L Rajaratnam||V.Ganesan||1972-1980|
|T V Loganathan||V Ganesan||1981-1987|
|T V Loganathan||D Venugopal Reddy||1988-1993|
|D G Masilamani||D Venugopal Reddy||1994-1997|
|H Ganapathy||D Venugopal Reddy||1998-2003|
|R Balasubrahmanyam||V R Udaya Shankar||2004-2007|
|P V Inbasekaran||C M Baskaran||2007-2010|
|D Singaravelu||C M Baskaran||2010-2015|
At the time of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of State Banks' Staff Union (Madras Circle) and the All India State Bank of India Staff Federation during May 1974, the leadership of both the Organisations thought it necessary to have a suitable Emblem for the Organisation.
Shri V.Ganesan, the then General Secretary of our Circle Union drew a sketch putting his thoughts which might aptly suit the characteristics of the Federation/Union. When the design of the Emblem was sent to the Federation Headquarters at Calcutta both the President and the Secretary approved the same and conveyed their appreciation for the best manner in which the emblem has been designed.
SBSU appearing in the top quarter of the emblem is the abbreviation for State Banks' Staff Union. The key hole at the Centre represents the gateway to prosperity and a better and brighter future.
The writing position of the pen is symbolic of the ceaseless service being rendered to the Society by the Bank employees. The pen also represents knowledge, wisdom and of course might. Pen, it is said, is mightier than the sword. The balance with the pair of scales even, stands for justice and equality besides indicating the balanced mind and thinking of the Organisation. The legend "Right is Might" is the motto of this mighty Union/Federation. The words "Right" and "Duty" appearing in the scales on the left and right respectively signify the conviction of the Union/Federation that Rights and Duties go together and that over-emphasis on either side will tilt the balance.
Our parent Organisations, AISBISF and NCBE have also adopted the emblem. This emblem is widely known among the Bank employees as the symbol for independent trade unionism in the Banking Sector.